Ad Space

 
Democratic Action Party-Kenya (DAP-K) candidate Seth Panyako broke down in tears while casting his vote at St Joseph Lunyu Primary School in Malava Constituency on Thursday, November 27, 2025, visibly overwhelmed by fear and tension that have marked his campaign. 

Moments after marking his ballot, Panyako recounted a harrowing attack on his hotel the previous night, accusing state actors of orchestrating an assassination attempt. "The government machinery, together with criminals, attacked my hotel, and the aim was to assassinate my wife and me," Panyako said, his voice cracking as he struggled to compose himself, surrounded by supporters and party leader Eugene Wamalwa who offered consolation. 

Panyako claimed the assailants, including Farouk Kibet, Nabii Nabwera, Stanley Livondo, and Rashid Echesa, had been instructed by President William Ruto to eliminate him. He alleged his driver was seriously injured in the raid, with the attackers targeting his room and conference hall used as a tallying centre. 

The candidate said a returning officer had warned him of orders to have him eliminated to prevent him from appearing on the ballot. "Salim told me there is nothing he can do because there are orders to have me eliminated so that I'm not on the ballot," Panyako stated. 

Panyako's internal polling showed him leading by 75 percent against UDA's David Ndakwa at 24 percent, suggesting the attack aimed to derail his strong position. 

DAP-K leader Eugene Wamalwa condemned the incident, demanding Ndakwa's disqualification. "We want to tell the IG of police that police are being used as a tool of violence and are working with goons," Wamalwa said. "We want to tell the IEBC that this UDA candidate should be disqualified for going to the extent of wanting to harm his opponent." 

Former Kakamega Senator Cleophas Malala claimed government goons escorted by police stormed Downhill Hotel, killing the gatekeeper. "Government goons escorted by police are currently breaking into Hon Seth Panyako's Downhill Hotel… They have already killed the gate man and are breaking the doors," Malala posted on X. 

Tension in Malava mirrors concerns in other by-election areas like Mbeere North, where Chama Cha Kazi leader Moses Kuria reported attacks on polling agents. 

Panyako claimed Luvondo's vehicle had doctored number plates and refused to enter the hotel. He said the group had been bribing voters, and despite reports to IEBC, no action was taken. 

The Malava by-election follows the death of former MP Malulu Injendi earlier in 2025 and features nine candidates competing for the seat with over 94,000 registered voters and 198 polling stations. 

Voting began at 6 a.m. across 22 electoral areas, including Kigumo Constituency and 21 wards, under heightened security with 4,200 officers deployed. 

IEBC Chairperson Erastus Ethekon assured voters of enhanced measures. "We have engaged all security agencies and political actors to guarantee a credible process," Chebukati said. 

National Police Service Acting Inspector General Douglas Kanja warned politicians against interference. "Any person attempting to disrupt the by-elections through violence, voter bribery, intimidation or any other illegal means will be arrested and prosecuted without fear or favour," Kanja stated. 

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen dismissed rigging allegations as baseless. "The government has no interest in who wins these seats," he said. "Our only interest is in ensuring peace and stability." 

The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights urged independent observers inside polling stations and real-time turnout publication. 

More than 520,000 voters are eligible across 1,127 polling stations, with results expected from 6:30 p.m. 

Advertisement
Advertisement Space Available
Advertisement
Advertisement Space Available